[lustre-discuss] uid/gid in changelog records

Matthew Sanderson matthew.sanderson at anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 27 00:18:22 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Change logs would form a more complete audit trail if they contained a
user ID (and possibly also a primary group ID, maybe even all of the
user's supplementary group IDs).

Is there a particular reason why this information isn't currently stored
in changelog records?

After some investigation with my colleague (cc'd), it looks like this
would be a comparatively easy change to make. The information is already
sent over the wire to the MDS; it's just not persisted in the changelog.

The additional fields could be added to the userspace 'struct
changelog_rec' as an additional extension, similar to the way renames
and job IDs are stored. As far as I can tell, this wouldn't break
compatibility with existing applications that consume changelogs.

Regards, Matt