[lustre-discuss] Upgrade lustre servers (2.1.3 to the latest stable version)

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Thu May 18 06:25:11 PDT 2017

On May 16, 2017, at 09:18, Ekaterina Popova <Ekaterina.Popova at ihep.ru> wrote:

> I would be very grateful if you could help me to plan my upgrade.
> Our lustre  file system size is about 190TB. Our mgs/mds/oss servers are quite old. OS is SL6 and lustre version is 2.1.3. Lustre clients version is 2.5.3.
> We'll plan to upgrade servers to the latest stable version (2.9.0). At that time we want to turn on quotas (now they are turn off).
>
> Questions:
> 1) Can we upgrade Lustre from 2.1.3 to 2.9.0 at one step and turn on quotas at the same step?

It is always better to isolate the steps in a major upgrade, rather than changing many things at once.

> 2) Plan B: Can we upgrade operating system on one oss server (from SL6 to Centos7), turn on old lustre on this server, and then step by step upgrade all servers. After upgrade  operating systems on all servers and turning on old lustre it is possible to upgrade lustre version on all servers safely?

This is not possible for such large differences in Lustre server versions.  While there is some interoperability possible between MDS and OSS versions, it is better to keep the versions the same.

> 3) We can't make backup all data - only mdt device can be backed up. Is it possible to lose all our data? What is the best way to prevent loosing data in our case?

Definitely make a backup of the MDT, even if you can't backup all the data.

Lustre Principal Architect
Intel Corporation