[lustre-discuss] lnetctl & /etc/sysconfig/lnet.conf Usage

Christopher J. Morrone morrone2 at llnl.gov
Fri May 26 15:28:13 PDT 2017

On 05/18/2017 05:25 PM, Di Natale, Giuseppe wrote:
> Hi Eli,
>

> Thanks for the response! From my understanding, /etc/sysconfig is
> intended to contain files which are sourceable by shell scripts. Below
> is a link to a blog post that does a good job explaining.
>

> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/on-etc-sysinit.html
>

> To me, /etc/ is the catch all for other system level configuration that
> isn't part of some daemon. But, I could be wrong on that and would
> welcome other opinions. I am by no means an expert myself.

Well, no, /etc has plenty of daemon configuration files. :)  /etc is the
standard place for system-wide configuration configuration.

In general, /etc/sysconfig is for the older SysV, bash, init scripts.
Granted, things aren't terribly clearly specified, and there are
deviations from the mean.  But mostly what one finds in /etc/sysconfig
is a file that is meant to be directly sourced into a bash init script
This is opposed to a configuration file that _is_ meant to be parsed by
a daemon (or other program), and those files should be located anywhere
_but_ /etc/sysconfig.

systemd doesn't use bash init scripts; instead it has parsed "unit
files".  Since systemd doesn't use bash for unit files, it also can't
reasonably source a file from /etc/sysconfig.

Long story short:

/etc - general location for system-wide configuration
/etc/sysconfig - Bash-sourceable files specific to SysV init scripts

Chris