[lustre-discuss] Lustre shares

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Wed Oct 4 06:41:12 PDT 2017

On Oct 4, 2017, at 07:23, Biju C P <cpbiju at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am very new to Lustre filesystem and my question may be very basic. Please help me on this.
>
> How do I create Lustre shares?

Could you please explain a bit more about what you want here? Do you want to have clients access subtrees of the filesystem or similar?

> Is there any API available to query all shares available on Lustre filesystem?

There aren't "shares" per-se, so no API is available for this.

> MGS/MDS can be configured to have multiple filesystems. What is the use case ? When does the customer create multiple filesystems ?

Some (typically smaller) sites have multiple filesystems on the same server, mostly for reducing the cost of the server hardware while separating the filesystems for (partial) fault isolation or capacity/user management.

However, for larger filesystems, there is not much benefit for sharing the
same servers between multiple filesystems, since there are multiple servers
in a single filesystem to improve performance so it doesn't make sense to
split them up again.

Lustre Principal Architect
Intel Corporation