[lustre-discuss] 1 MDS and 1 OSS

Ben Evans bevans at cray.com
Mon Oct 30 12:18:34 PDT 2017

It's not going to matter.  There aren't enough physical drives to push the Infiniband link, unless they're all SSDs.

From: Simon Guilbault <simon.guilbault at calculquebec.ca<mailto:simon.guilbault at calculquebec.ca>>
Date: Monday, October 30, 2017 at 3:13 PM
To: Amjad Syed <amjadcsu at gmail.com<mailto:amjadcsu at gmail.com>>
Cc: Ben Evans <bevans at cray.com<mailto:bevans at cray.com>>, "lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org<mailto:lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org>" <lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org<mailto:lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org>>
Subject: Re: [lustre-discuss] 1 MDS and 1 OSS

Hi,

If everything is connected with SAS JBOD and controllers, you could probably run 1 OST on each server and get better performance that way. With both server reaching the same SAS drives, you could also have a failover in case one server does not work.

You can forget about failover if you are using SATA drives.