[lustre-discuss] Multiple Lustre filesystem

Colin Faber colin.faber at seagate.com
Fri Sep 15 10:11:06 PDT 2017

The number of OST's is typically calculated based on overall OST size
(cannot exceed maximum FS limits), and performance. The number you choose
to utilize should be based on that, if that means you get the best
performance out of your system with fewer OST's which are larger then use
that. In any case benchmarking of your hardware should be a first step
before deciding layouts.

Secondly the number of MDTs required is also based on performance and file
limit considerations. A single MDT is required, however multiple MDT's can
be utilized on the same file system (via DNE feature) to allow you to
horizontally scale your metadata performance, as well as total file system
file count capacity.

-cf