[lustre-discuss] Making a file system read-only

Cameron Harr harr1 at llnl.gov
Tue Feb 6 11:43:17 PST 2018

On 02/06/2018 11:23 AM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:54 PM, Cameron Harr <harr1 at llnl.gov
> <mailto:harr1 at llnl.gov>> wrote:
>
>     Greetings,
>
>     I'll be retiring a 2.5 ZFS-backed file system in the coming months
>     and plan on putting it in a "read-only" state for 6 weeks or so to
>     let users archive or migrate data they want. The optimal, if
>     slightly contradictory, definition of "read-only" for me would be
>     to allow unlinks, but disallow all other writes; however, if
>     that's not possible, then disallowing all writes would be
>     sufficient. I will be doing some testing, but our 2.5 T&D system
>     won't be available for several days and am therefore soliciting
>     advice up front.
>
>     Option 1 is to remount the file system on the clients in read-only
>     mode, but I can imagine a couple problems with this method.
>
> Just out of curiosity what type of problems do you fore-see? Missing a
> client still being rw?

There are potentially thousands of clients for some of the systems and I
can foresee missing clients as well as having many clients hang when
remounting due to open files. It can also be tedious given a large
number of different systems. Regardless, I may very  well end up doing
this client remount anyway.

>     Option 2 is to deactivate the OSTs with lctl, but that also leaves
>     me with some questions. In section 14.8.3.1a of the Lustre manual,
>     it recommends setting max_create_count=0 with Lustre 2.9 and
>     above. I'm using 2.5, not 2.9, but noticed that
>     /proc/fs/lustre/osp/fs-*-osc-MDT0000/max_create_count does indeed
>     exist. Does setting that option in 2.5 still have an effect in
>     prohibiting new file and directory creates? Additionally, will
>     clients be OK having all OSTs inactive?
>
> There was some discussion of making a/multiple OSTs read-only for data
> migration last year that you may find useful:
> http://lists.lustre.org/pipermail/lustre-discuss-lustre.org/2017-March/014294.html

Thanks Eli. I didn't know about the "degraded" option. I'll try setting
that on the OSTs and deactivating the OSTs on the MDS (though it's not
clear if unlinks are allowed back in 2.5 or just 2.9+).
-Cameron