[lustre-discuss] Upgrading ZFS version for Lustre

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Fri Jul 27 10:56:24 PDT 2018

> On Jul 27, 2018, at 10:24, Mohr Jr, Richard Frank (Rick Mohr) <rmohr at utk.edu> wrote:
>
> I am working on upgrading some Lustre servers.  The servers currently run lustre 2.8.0 with zfs 0.6.5, and I am looking to upgrade to lustre 2.10.4 with zfs 0.7.9.   I was looking at the manual, and I did not see anything in there that mentioned special steps when changing ZFS versions.  Do I need to run “zfs upgrade” on the underlying pools before upgrading the lustre version?

Running "zfs upgrade" will (potentially) enable new features in the filesystem, which means you cannot downgrade to ZFS 0.6.5 if you run into problems.  New features in ZFS 0.7.x related to Lustre include large dnodes, inode quota accounting, and Multi-Modifier Protection (MMP).  There are also a lot of performance improvements, so it is definitely a good upgrade.

I'd recommend doing the "zfs upgrade" step some time after the Lustre+ZFS (and probably also kernel) software update.  This gives you some time with the new Lustre and ZFS versions to ensure they are working well in your environment, then after this is done you can run the "zfs upgrade".  This also allows isolating any potential issues to the new ZFS features, instead of lumping it all together with the software updates.

You need to explictly enable the MMP support, by setting the pool property "multihost=on", and inode quota with "feature at userobj_accounting=enabled" when you are ready to use these features.

Cheers, Andreas
---
Andreas Dilger
CTO Whamcloud