[lustre-discuss] multiple filesystem in MGS vs folder based ACL ? prons /cons

Cory Spitz spitzcor at cray.com
Thu Jun 28 14:35:54 PDT 2018

> Lustre's current/traditional owner-based quota accounting
> is a bit of a drag, but eventually there will be project quotas...

FYI, Project Quotas exist beginning with Lustre 2.10.0.

Info is in the Lustre Ops Manual at http://doc.lustre.org/lustre_manual.xhtml#idm140687075905776.

-Cory

--

On 6/28/18, 10:46 AM, "lustre-discuss on behalf of Mark Hahn" <lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org on behalf of hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

    > we have different research groups i am thinking to have one filesystem and
    > beneath it using ACL have project folders .

    well, the first approach should be to use the normal Unix mechanism:
    owners and groups.  ACLs are usually treated as a way to make exceptions,
    since owner/group will capture most of the correct sharing relations.

    after all, there's little harm in seeing lots of names in your /project
    mount.  unless someone botches the permissions, only the right people can
    can traverse the trees.

    > Just curious what re the pros/cons of having multiple filesystem vs single
    > filesystem with folders ?

    scalability of management.  it's not obviously scalable to manage many
    separate filesystems, but very easy to manage thousands of groups
    on a single filesystem.

    > any advice ?

    unless you have to prevent users from even seeing the existence
    of other users, just use a single filesystem.

    Lustre's current/traditional owner-based quota accounting
    is a bit of a drag, but eventually there will be project quotas...

    regards, mark hahn