[lustre-discuss] Mixed size OST's

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Thu Mar 15 08:48:39 PDT 2018

Lustre newbie here (1 month). Lustre 2.10.3, CentOS 7.4, ZFS 0.7.5. All
networking is 10 GbE.

I am building a test Lustre filesystem. So far, I have two OSS's, each
with 30 disks of 2 TB each, all in a single zpool per OSS. Everything
works well, and was suprisingly easy to build. Thus, two OST's of 60 TB
each. File types are comprised of home directories. Clients number about
225 HPC systems (about 2400 cores).

In about a month, I will have a third OSS available, and about a month
after that, a fourth. Each of these two systems has 48 disks of 4 TB each.
I am looking for advice on how best to configure this. If I go with one
OST per system (one zpool comprising 8 x 6 RAIDZ2 vdevs), I will have a
lustre f/s comprised of two 60 TB OST's and two 192 TB OST's (minus RAIDZ2
overhead). This is obviously a big mismatch between OST sizes. I have not
encountered any discussion of the effect of mixing disparate OST sizes. I
could instead format two 96 TB OST's on each system (two zpools of 4 x 6
RAIDZ2 vdevs), or three 64 TB OST's, and so on. More OST's means more
striping possibilities, but less vdev's per zpool impacts ZFS performance
negatively. More OST's per OSS does not help with network bandwidth to the
OSS. How would you go about this?

TIA,
Steve