[lustre-discuss] Openstack Manila + Lustre?

Matt Rásó-Barnett matt at rasobarnett.com
Wed Nov 21 12:59:15 PST 2018

Hi Andrew,

Have you seen these previous LUG presentations by a couple of sites
using a number of newer Lustre features and LNET routing to provide
multi-tenant, private Lustre sub-directory mounts into Openstack
environments:

Wellcome Sanger Institute:
https://www.eofs.eu/_media/events/lad17/15_dave_holland_secure_lustre_on_openstack.pdf

DDN:
http://cdn.opensfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Buisson-Multitenancy_v1.0.pdf

ETH Zurich:
https://www.eofs.eu/_media/events/lad18/10_diego_moreno_ethz_simplified_mt_for_personalized_health.pdf

It's not quite the same approach as what you linked to, and don't touch
on the Manila aspect, but the aims I think are broadly similar.

It would be really interesting if Manila could be wrangled into spinning
up and down the necessary VLANs and virtual LNET routers on-demand in
some manner to make this approach at multi-tenancy more self-service.

This concept is something we are interested in following in Cambridge
but we haven't started work on trying this yet - so like you I'd be very
interested in any more stories of places trying this.

Cheers,
Matt