[lustre-discuss] Making a copy of an OST

Roger Sersted rs1 at aps.anl.gov
Wed Nov 21 21:32:11 PST 2018

Lustre Server OS Version: CentOS 7.4
Lustre Server version: 2.10.2
Server Kernel version: 3.10.0-693.5.2
Filesystem: ldiskfs

I have an older disk array with a hardware failure.  I suspect the
drives and data are still valid.

What I plan to do is migrate the data off of a similar model array, move
the drives and migrate the data from the failed array.  In order to do
this, I need to migrate just an OST to a different device.  I can't use
lfs_migrate, because that works at the file level.  I suspect the best
route to go is to create a new device and use "dd" to copy the contents
of the source device to the target device.

Is there a better solution?

Anything I should be aware of regarding dd and an OST?

The arrays in question are enterprise class systems with caching
controllers configured for RAID6.

Thanks,

Roger S.