[lustre-discuss] lustre 2.10.5 or 2.11.0

Riccardo Veraldi Riccardo.Veraldi at cnaf.infn.it
Wed Oct 17 16:30:58 PDT 2018

On 10/17/18 1:20 PM, Kurt Strosahl wrote:

> Good Afternoon,

I believe 2.10.* is the long time support.

I am happy with 2.10.5 on my standard  performance cluster but for a
very high performance cluster I built 5 months ago where 6GB/s per each OSS

where required in read and write transfers I had some problem with file
locking using Lustre 2.10.3 when having many writers.

This issue did not show up with Lustre 2.11.0 so that I Went for it.

>     I'm in the early planning stages of a lustre upgrade.  We are
> going to be moving from 2.5 to either 2.10 or 2.11, possibly by
> standing up a new lustre file system alongside the existing one and
> migrating the data over.  I'm wondering if anyone has had specific
> experiences (either positive or negative) with either of these versions.
>

> I was also looking for, but couldn't seem to find, a mapping of zfs
> versions to lustre versions.  Am I correct in my assumption that zfs
> 0.7.9 will work with either version?
>

> Finally, does anyone have experience with zfs as the backing for the
> MDS/MDT?

I have several MDS/MDT on ZFS and they are also virtual machines and I
never had issues with them.

anyway especially regarding the OSSes you may eventually need some ZFS
module parameters optimizations regarding vdev_write and vdev_read max
to increase those values higher than default. You may also disable ZIL,
change the redundant_metadata to "most" atime off.

I could send you a list of parameters that in my case work well.