[lustre-discuss] State of arm client?

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Thu Apr 25 07:17:26 PDT 2019

The older Pi boards are also 64-bit CPUs, but the problem is that Raspbian is only compiled with 32-bit kernels.  I was recently testing this, and for Raspbian you will need at least the tip of b2_12, or 2.12.1 in order to compile.

I compiled 2.12.1-rc on my 32-bit Raspbian. This mostly works, but there is a bug in readdir() handling for large dirs, which means that it will return the same entries over and over again, but eventually completes (possibly minutes later).  This is caused by userspace calling readdir64() on a 32-bit kernel and Lustre is confused with its 32-bit compatibility.

I haven't had any chance to look into this in more detail, especially since I don't think anyone else is running 32-bit clients. So, in summary, Raspbian is _almost_ usable, but using a 64-bit kernel is just a lot easier.

Cheers, Andreas