[lustre-discuss] ZFS and multipathing for OSTs

Kurt Strosahl strosahl at jlab.org
Thu Apr 25 11:44:11 PDT 2019

Good Afternoon,

    As part of a new lustre deployment I've now got two disk shelves connected redundantly to two servers.  Since each disk has two paths to the server I'd like to use multipathing for both redundancy and improved performance.  I haven't found examples or discussion about such a setup, and was wondering if there are any resources out there that I could consult.

Of particular interest would be examples of the /etc/zfs/vdev_id.conf and any tuning that was done.  I'm also wondering about extra steps that may have to be taken when doing a disk replacement to account for the multipathing.  I've got plenty of time to experiment with this process, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

w/r,

Kurt J. Strosahl
System Administrator: Lustre, HPC
Scientific Computing Group, Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility