[lustre-discuss] Upgrade without losing data from 1.8.6 to 2.5.2 and back if necessary

Patrick Farrell pfarrell at whamcloud.com
Mon Feb 4 08:18:29 PST 2019

Wow, 1.8 is pretty old these days, as is 2.5 (first release 6 years ago!).  I hope you're planning on upgrading past 2.5 once you've upgraded to it.  (Honestly, this is all so old at this point you might consider letting your existing system reach EOL on 1.8.x and building a new file system (2.10 is a maintenance branch...) & migrating data.)

Upgrade is possible and relatively easy.  Just shut down all your servers, upgrade the Lustre version, then start them as normal.  It is a good idea to upgrade your clients at the same time, but you can use 1.8.x clients with 2.5.  Not everything works - quota, notably, will not work right - but it is mostly fine.

That's the first step of upgrading, and at this point you can easily roll back to 1.8.x.

After that, it's more complicated.  I won't write it all up for you, but the manual has information on enabling dirdata and doing lfsck namespace, and also on enabling quotas, which is different in 2.5.  Once you enable dirdata (even without doing the namespace lfsck, which you should do), you cannot go back to 1.8.x.  (It is probably not safe to upgrade beyond 2.5.x without enabling dirdata, nor to downgrade from > 2.5.x to 1.8.x.  Those *might* work, but I wouldn't bet my data on it.)

Section 17.2 in the manual has the relevant info.

- Patrick