[lustre-discuss] Lustre under autofs

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Tue May 28 15:10:05 PDT 2019

On May 27, 2019, at 02:05, Youssef Eldakar <youssefeldakar at gmail.com> wrote:

> In our Rocks cluster, we added entries to /etc/auto.share to conveniently mount our Lustre file systems on all nodes:
>
> lfs01 -fstype=lustre 192.168.230.238 at o2ib:/lustrefs
> lfs02 -fstype=lustre 192.168.230.239 at o2ib:/lustrefs
>
> On login nodes, the lfs01 or lfs02 mount points would occasionally give "No such file or directory," and attempting to statically mount them while at that state would give "File exists." Rebooting the client node makes the problem go away temporarily.
>
> Are we perhaps missing some option in the auto.share entries above to prevent that behavior from reoccurring?
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers.

What version of Lustre are you using?  I haven't heard of such problems, but I'm not sure how many users use automount either.  I know _some_ use it, since we had a bug open about it a few years ago, but haven't heard much since.

If you are using an old version (2.7.x or earlier), I'd recommend to upgrade at least the clients to a newer version (2.10.8, or maybe 2.12.2), and try with that.  If you are running a newer version, please file a ticket in Jira with details (/var/log/messages, Lustre kernel debug log when there is a problem).

Principal Lustre Architect
Whamcloud