[lustre-discuss] status of HSM copytools?

Matt Rásó-Barnett matt at rasobarnett.com
Sun Aug 23 06:33:55 PDT 2020

Hi Andrew,

We are using Lemur in production at Cambridge with our Lustre HSM setup,
although in our case we are using the POSIX backend of it rather than
the S3 backend.

We adopted it early at the time it was being developed under Intel, as
the prospect of commercial support (we were Intel IEEL customers at the
time), and some of the promising features that were being worked on with
it (snapshot versions, checksums, performance), was very enticing.

But as you've seen, it was a casualty of Intel dropping Lustre, so it's
not being developed any more. We unfortunately don't have the skills or
resources internally to develop it ourselves, so I personally am looking
at how we will transition away from it in the coming months as we
refresh our HSM setup. I may switch back to using the robinhood
developed lhsmtool_cmd with our POSIX backends for example.

Lemur is largely doing the job for us however, so it reached a decent
stage of development before Intel dropped it, but I still wouldn't
recommend starting with it without someone backing maintenance of it.

 From speaking with the Amazon representative at last year's LUG, I
understood that they are using Lemur internally for their HSM
integration as well. I had meant to follow up with them to see if they
would consider open-sourcing their fork of the project as to my
knowledge there aren't any other major users of Lemur.

I'd also be interested as you are in hearing what others are using,
commericial or otherwise. I've never had the feeling that HSM is
particularly widely used so it'd be good to share information for those
of us who are!

Best wishes,

Matt