[lustre-discuss] LNET ports and connections

Degremont, Aurelien degremoa at amazon.com
Mon Feb 17 03:14:39 PST 2020

Hi all,

From what I've understood so far, LNET listens on port 988 by default and peers connect to it using 1021-1023 TCP ports as source ports.
At Lustre level, servers listen on 988 and clients connect to them using the same source ports 1021-1023.
So only accepting connections to port 988 on server side sounded pretty safe to me. However, I've seen connections from 1021-1023 to 988, from server hosts to client hosts sometimes.
I can't understand what mechanism could trigger these connections. Did I miss something?

Thanks

Aurélien