[lustre-discuss] LNET ports and connections

NeilBrown neilb at suse.com
Mon Feb 17 20:41:58 PST 2020

LNet is a peer-to-peer protocol, it has no concept of client and server.
If one host needs to send a message to another but doesn't already have
a connection, it creates a new connection.
I don't yet know enough specifics of the lustre protocol to be certain
of the circumstances when a lustre server will need to initiate a message
to a client, but I imagine that recalling a lock might be one.

I think you should assume that any LNet node might receive a connection
from any other LNet node (for which they share an LNet network), and
that the connection could come from any port between 512 and 1023
(LNET_ACCEPTOR_MIN_PORT to LNET_ACCEPTOR_MAX_PORT).

NeilBrown