[lustre-discuss] ZFS mdt

Hans Henrik Happe happe at nbi.dk
Mon Jan 27 12:54:10 PST 2020

Hi,

Obviously it depends on the number of inodes (files,dirs etc) you have.
However, if the zfs pool uses ashift=12, which will be the default for
most SSDs and large HDDs, it can have quite an overhead for MDTs. It
takes a lot of bandwidth on MDTs if you do a lot of metedata operations.

You can check it by running 'zdb |grep ashift'.

We are using ashift=9 on SSDs for this reason, even though the SDDs
would prefer it differently.

Cheers,
Hans Henrik