[lustre-discuss] Do old clients ever go away?

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Wed Jun 17 04:22:50 PDT 2020

On Jun 5, 2020, at 08:37, William D. Colburn <wcolburn at nrao.edu<mailto:wcolburn at nrao.edu>> wrote:

I was looking in /proc/fs/lustre/mgs/MGS/exports/, and I see ip
addresses in there that don't go anywhere anymore.  I'm pretty sure they
are gone so long that they predate the uptime of the mds.  Does a lost
client linger forever, or am I just wrong about when the machines went
offline in relation to the uptime of the MDS?

These files in the exports directory are just old stats, which are kept after client disconnect because it is otherwise difficult to track if clients are only connecting for a short time.  This doesn't mean that these clients are actively connected or part of the filesystem.

Principal Lustre Architect
Whamcloud