[lustre-discuss] ZFS atime is it required?

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Thu Oct 29 02:27:41 PDT 2020

On Oct 23, 2020, at 14:03, Kumar, Amit <ahkumar at mail.smu.edu<mailto:ahkumar at mail.smu.edu>> wrote:

Dear All,

Quick question, can I get away by setting “zfs set atime=off on_all_my_voulmes_mgt_mdt_and_osts” ? I ask this as it is noted to be performance boosting tip with the assumption filesystems(Lustre) handles all access times?

You don't really need atime enabled on the OSTs, but I also don't think "atime=off" will make any difference.  That is a VFS/ZPL level option, and Lustre osd-zfs doesn't use any of the ZPL code, but rather handles atime internally.

Principal Lustre Architect
Whamcloud