[lustre-discuss] Lustre optimize for spares data files ?

Robert Redl robert.redl at lmu.de
Wed Sep 9 03:24:03 PDT 2020

Dear Tung-Han,

Am 09.09.20 um 09:49 schrieb Tung-Han Hsieh:
> Dear Robert,
>
> Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
>
> I have additional questions. Since we have a large Lustre file
> system pool, some are OST with ldiskfs backend, and some are OST
> with ZFS backend. Can I just enable compression on the ZFS backend
> which is going to be joined into the Lustre file system without
> affecting the remaining parts ?
Maybe someone else can answer that. Our system runs exclusively on ZFS
backends (OST+MDT). I think it is not a problem to mix backends, but I'm
not sure and I never tried.

> If my OST with ZFS has run for a while without compression enabled,
> could I enable it without hurting the existing data ?

Yes. If you set compression=on, then new data will be compressed (with
LZ4), old data remains unchanged. If you turn compression off again,
then new data will not be compressed anymore. But data already in the
system remains compressed. This is the normal ZFS behavior. Moving data
with lfs migrate to an OST with compression enabled will result in
compressed data.

Cheers,
Robert