[lustre-discuss] Determining server version from client

Andrew Elwell andrew.elwell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:55:16 PST 2021

Hi All,

Is there a trivial command to determine the server side version of
lustre (in my case, trying to confirm what types of quotas are allowed
(project - 2.10+, default - 2.12+) ?

I was hoping there'd be something in lfs, such as lfs getname
--version which would ideally spit out something like

$ lfs getname --version
fs1-ffff9920dde7d000 /fs1 2.10.4
testfs-ffff992073597800 /testfs 2.12.5

but that's wishful thinking :-) as lfs --version merely gives me the
client version as expected

Is this something that's fairly trivial and I'll open a jira ticket
for the request - I know it's done at mount time as the kernel can log
kernel: Lustre: Server MGS version (2.5.1.0) is much older than
client. Consider upgrading server (2.12.5)

Many thanks

Andrew