[lustre-discuss] Configuring File Layout Questions

Ellis Wilson elliswilson at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 13 12:48:24 PDT 2021

Hi Lustre folks,

A few questions about around configuring file layouts, specifically progressive file layouts:

1. In a freshly stood-up Lustre cluster, if there are no clients yet mounted, are there any Lustre utilities (I've not found one) that allows one to perform the equivalent of "lfs setstripe" without an active mount point (say, from the MDS node)?

2. If not, is there a reasonable API against which such a utility could be constructed, or is this request at odds with the architecture?

3. In the absence of a separate client to mount the filesystem to perform normal "lfs" commands, can one safely mount the cluster directly from an MDS or some other node within the Lustre FS proper?  My understanding is that it is not safe, but that's based on hearsay, so I'd love to get a more authoritative answer.

Thanks to anybody who can help answer one or more of these!

ellis