[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] Configuring File Layout Questions

Mohr, Rick mohrrf at ornl.gov
Tue Jul 13 13:47:13 PDT 2021

Ellis,

I am not aware of a tool to run lfs commands without having the file system mounted.  A lot of those operations (maybe all) are handled via ioctls that expect to operate on a file.

A few times on smaller file systems, I have mounted them on one of the lustre servers temporarily without any ill effects.  This is not likely something you would want to have running in production all the time, but if you are just looking for a quick way to run a few "lfs setstripe" or other types of administrative commands then it should be fine.  There used to be a time when that sort of thing was a big no-no, but I think Lustre has become more resilient in recent versions.  I would just avoid doing any heavy IO (like benchmarking) using the servers as clients.

-Rick