[lustre-discuss] Restricting sub directory mounts/access

Kumar, Amit ahkumar at mail.smu.edu
Tue Mar 30 20:24:44 PST 2021

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I would like to use the isolation mentioned in the link you shared, but a bit differently. I did a bit of reading but it appears to me, that Isolation provided by filesets feature allows me to mount sub-directory in isolation of the root directory, and using nodemap allows me to squash or map uid/gid on a set of clients. Based on my understanding this would not help me, I hope I am wrong.

Here is what I am trying: I still want the entire namespace mounted on all clients, but exclude access to one of the sub-directory from the namespace on a handful of clients. Rational: we have some datasets that resides in a sub-directory, and given lustre namespace is mounted on login servers which are not setup behind a 2FA authentication system, the entity providing us the data set has raised concerns and hence we are trying to look for options around this. We do have a place to put the data elsewhere at the moment, but I would like to explore options not all our file systems are as large as Lustre and it could benefit when the need arises.

Best Regards,
Amit