[lustre-discuss] How to enable project quota for old files after upgrade?

Robert Redl robert.redl at lmu.de
Tue Jun 7 00:33:50 PDT 2022

Dear Lustre Experts,

I have upgraded a test system from Lustre 2.12.7 with ZFS 0.7.13 backend
to Lustre 2.15.0-RC5 with ZFS 2.0.7 backend. The data has been
transferred using zfs send/recv to new hardware.

Project quotas are activated on all zpools as well as in the lustre
config. For new files and folders, that have been created after the
upgrade, everything works complete as expected. For old files and
folders, setting the project quota fails:

lfs project -sr -p1 old-folder
lfs: failed to set xattr for 'old-folder': No such device or address

This issue is already reported and has already been there in Lustre
2.14: https://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-15640

A workaround is to migrate the old folder between MDTs. That is
recreating the attributes and apparently the project ID attribute is
afterwards included and can be set. Setting the project ID after
migrating between MDTs results in correctly shown number of files with
lfs quota -p. Unfortunately the consumed disk space shown by lfs quota
-p is much to small. Also an LBUG is triggered from time to time on the
OSTs. This has also been reported:
https://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-13189. The Problem seems to be,
that the osd-objects are expected to have the project ID attribute, but
they don't. The only way to get out of this situation is to evict all
clients and to delete the files in question. Otherwise you would
directly run into the next LBUG after the reboot of the OST. Another
workaround is to migrate all data to different OSTs (also old upgraded).
As for the meta data, that creates new objects which include the project
ID.

The migration workarounds are of course extremely expensive on larger
systems. According to the zfs documentation, an update of the on-disk
format can be triggered by zfs set version=current
(https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/man/7/zpool-features.7.html).
However, that is not doing anything.

I guess I'm not the only one with plans to upgrade a system with ZFS
backend. Did others have the same issues?

Best regards,
Robert