[lustre-discuss] Which MOFED version is suggested for Lustre (especially are Lustre 2.15.x and MOFED 23.10-1.1.9.0-LTS compatible) ?

Audet, Martin Martin.Audet at cnrc-nrc.gc.ca
Tue Dec 19 22:35:09 PST 2023

Hello Lustre community,

We are in the process of upgrading our (small) cluster. We would like to use RHEL/AlmaLinux 9.3 on our compute nodes (Lustre clients) and RHEL/AlmaLinux 8.9 on our file server node (we have a single server).

Our Lustre RPMs (client, server and server patched kernel) are all compiled by ourselves from the Lustre git repository. We are currently testing version 2.15.4-RC1.

We were thinking of installing MOFED 5.8-3.0.7.0-LTS but since it refuses to compile on AlmaLinux 9.3 (mlnxofedinstall --add-kernel-support fails), we decided to use the more recently released (last week) MOFED 23.10-1.1.9.0-LTS. The Lustre documentation says that this later MOFED version is compatible with Lustre 2.12.9 and 2.15.2, but did NVIDIA really performed some tests ?

Anyway which MOFED version is appropriate for Lustre 2.15.x ? We didn't find any answer to this question in the documentation (and source repository). Any information or experience on that ?

Thanks,

Martin Audet