[lustre-discuss] Regarding Lustre with RDMA

Laura Hild lsh at jlab.org
Thu Jan 5 06:07:30 PST 2023

Good morning, Nick-

One does not mount the OST block device on multiple hosts simultaneously:  the OST is mounted on a single OSS, and the clients connect to the OSS to request I/O (i.e. Lustre is a distributed filesystem, not a shared-disk filesystem).

To make those requests using RDMA instead of TCP, you need to assign an IP address to your RDMA interfaces (e.g. IPoIB ib0) and configure LNet nids x.x.x.x at o2ib.  Use o2ib nids in your mount specification, and Lustre will use RDMA (the IP address is just for setup, as I understand it).

-Laura