[lustre-discuss] mount not possible: "no server support"

Benedikt Braunger bebr at adm.ku.dk
Fri Oct 20 02:33:48 PDT 2023

On 19/10/2023 14.47, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> It looks like this is failing because the mount device is missing ":/"
>  in it, which mount.lustre uses to decide whether this is a client or
> server mountpoint.  you should be using:
>
>     client# mount -t lustre pstormgs01 at tcp:/sif0 /mnt/sif0
>
> and this should work.  It probably makes sense to improve the error
> message to be more clear, like:
>
>    mount.lustre: cannot mount block device 'pstormgs01 at tcp:sif0': no
> server support
>
> or similar

Thank you very much for the fast answer! Indeed that fixed the error.

I agree, that the error message is unclear and would suggest to add some
kind of word to explicitly point out that Lustre is trying to mount a
local filesystem like

mount.lustre: cannot mount local block device 'pstormgs01 at tcp:sif0': no
server support

or

mount.lustre: cannot mount block device 'pstormgs01 at tcp:sif0': no server
support on local machine

or even

mount.lustre: cannot mount 'pstormgs01 at tcp:sif0': no server support, are
you missing a leading / ?

Anyway, the error message should also be documented somewhere with a
explaination, maybe I can add it to the wiki.

Thanks and best regards,
Beni