[Lustre-discuss] LBUG on client: Found existing inode ... in lock

Erich Focht efocht at hpce.nec.com
Thu Aug 21 10:58:24 PDT 2008

On Donnerstag 21 August 2008, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 16:40 +0200, Erich Focht wrote:
> >
> > A more general comment: what is the use of invisible bugs, anyway?
>
> You have to remember that we have customers who have sensitive data.
> Sometimes they need to share this data with us and yet not have it
> publicly consumable.

Of course I can understand that, and the reasoning. I'm also very happy that
the bug I reported was already around and probably the fix will come sooner.
Just looking for a way to stay informed on what's going on with this bug.

If I file it (as non-private) maybe it will be closed as duplicate, but
actually it would be usefull to keep it around and at least synchronize the
status with that of the private bug. This way people can at least find out
what's hapenning and find the non-secret error message. Duplication has the
price of additional effort somewhere, but keeping bugs secret has drawbacks,
too.

Anyway, SUN has clearly shown the will to open up the Lustre development, so
maybe there will be some better way to deal with secret bugs, too.

Regards,
Erich