[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Patchless Client

Ender Güler enderguler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:57:51 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'm new to lustre community and lustre software as well. I have question
regarding to patchless lustre client installation. The OS is Redhat EL 5.1.
I'm using voltaire gridstack v5.1.3 for infiniband software stack. I
installed the lustre-1.6.5.1 servers without any problem. The client and
server OSes are same. The problem is installing patchless client. Are there
any howto or guide for that. I googled but got nothing about it. Just the
link http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php?title=Patchless_Client . When i tried
the things which i read on that page, no modules were build. Are there
anything that must be done for the patchless client installation.

I ran the following command for configuration:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/lustre --enable-uoss --enable-bgl
--enable-posix-osd --enable-panic_dumplog --enable-quota
--enable-health-write --enable-lru-resize --enable-adaptive-timeouts
--enable-efence --enable-libwrap --enable-snmp --with-o2ib=/usr/src/openib
--with-linux=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-53.1.14.el5

Then ran make && make install. None of the above steps returned error
messages. So I assumed that the compilation and installation is successful.
But when i try to mount the server the following error message returned:

mount.lustre: mount klhi1.uybhm.itu.edu.tr at o2ib0:/klfs at /klfs failed: No
such device
Are the lustre modules loaded?
Check /etc/modprobe.conf and /proc/filesystems
Note 'alias lustre llite' should be removed from modprobe.conf

I searched any module files that contains lnet in its name. But there were
no files. So the compilation and installation is not complete. And also i
installed
lustre-client-modules-1.6.5.1-2.6.18_53.1.14.el5_lustre.1.6.5.1smp.x86_64.rpm
package to have the modules. But (as I expected,) it also did not help.
After installing that package, the lnet modules are installed under the
/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.14.el5/kernel/net/lustre dir. But it did not help.
When i ran the

modprobe lnet

command, it returned me  "FATAL: Module lnet not found." message. And ran
the insmod command as below:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.14.el5/kernel/net/lustre/lnet.ko
insmod: error inserting
'/lib/modules/2.6.18-53.1.14.el5/kernel/net/lustre/lnet.ko': -1 Unknown
symbol in module

All the trial and error steps made me believe that there must be other
things to do for installation. Are there any step by step guide for client
installation? Could you please help me?

And one more question: Are there any possibility to run two different lustre
versions on the same client at the same time? If there is a way to do it, it
would be great...

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Ender GULER