[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Patchless Client

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Aug 28 07:51:10 PDT 2008

On Aug 27, 2008  20:57 +0300, Ender G�ler wrote:
> I'm new to lustre community and lustre software as well. I have question
> regarding to patchless lustre client installation. The OS is Redhat EL 5.1.
> I'm using voltaire gridstack v5.1.3 for infiniband software stack. I
> installed the lustre-1.6.5.1 servers without any problem. The client and
> server OSes are same. The problem is installing patchless client. Are there
> any howto or guide for that. I googled but got nothing about it. Just the
> link http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php?title=Patchless_Client . When i tried
> the things which i read on that page, no modules were build. Are there
> anything that must be done for the patchless client installation.
>
> I ran the following command for configuration:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/lustre --enable-uoss --enable-bgl
> --enable-posix-osd --enable-panic_dumplog --enable-quota
> --enable-health-write --enable-lru-resize --enable-adaptive-timeouts
> --enable-efence --enable-libwrap --enable-snmp --with-o2ib=/usr/src/openib
> --with-linux=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
>
> Then ran make && make install. None of the above steps returned error
> messages. So I assumed that the compilation and installation is successful.
> But when i try to mount the server the following error message returned:

There are actually patchless client RPMs available for download at the
same place as the server RPMs.  They are called "lustre-client" or similar.

Note that it is also possible to run the same "server" kernel and Lustre
RPMs on the client nodes, since the lustre RPM also contains the client.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.