[Lustre-discuss] Proper Syntax for a failover pair

Chadha, Narjit Narjit.Chadha at necam.com
Fri Feb 22 13:06:33 PST 2008

I am at a point where my mds can effectively failover upon a hard or
soft reboot. However, the big problem is with getting the OSSs and
clients to mount to a failover MDS. The syntax according to my lustre
manual is something to the effect:

OSS:

mkfs.lustre -ost -fsname=lustrefs -mgsnid=mds[1-2] /dev/sdb1

mount -t lustre /dev/sdb1 /mnt/lustre

Where there is mds failover pair of mds1, mds2 with a lustre filesystem
name of 'lustrefs'. Heartbeat is correctly running on mds1 and mds2 and
failover of the lustre mds does work.

Clients:

mount -t lustre mds[1-2]:/lustrefs /mnt/lustre

However, this syntax for the mkfs commands does not work and there a
parsing error with the mgsnids (at formatting time):

mkfs.lustre: Can't parse NID 'mds[1'

mkfs.lustre: exiting with 1 (Operation not permitted)

 I have tried replacing '[]' with '{}' and this allows for mounting of
the OSSs, but not the clients. Also a ',' between the mgsnids does not
work in lieu of -mgsnid=mds[1-2].

Thanks