[Lustre-discuss] 2.6.23 client systems with any compatible server

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Feb 27 12:02:58 PST 2008

On Feb 26, 2008  08:09 -0800, Jim Garlick wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:45:14AM -0800, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > The recent testing of AT showed quite bad behaviour, so it cannot be
> > released as-is.  We will have more capability for testing this internally
> > very soon, and I think that LLNL is also moving to test a newer version
> > of Lustre so this should allow resolving the issues with adaptive timeouts
> > more quickly.
> >
> > For the 1.6.5 release we plan to disable AT only with a configure option
> > instead of reverting the code entirely (unless of course we get a lot of
> > testing and some bug fixes very soon).  This will allow testing AT more
> > easily.
>
> We are keen to get AT working and we anticipated dedicating the bulk of
> our test resources and people to stablizing and hardening a release including
> AT over the next four months.
>
> Is there a projected date for 1.6.5 release, or would it be possible to
> modify 1.6 plans to include a 1.6.6 release that does not release until AT
> works?

There is some room for including AT into the 1.6.5 release, but that would
only happen if there were good at-scale testing results in the next week
or two.  If it takes 2 months to stabilize AT then we would rather make a
1.6.5 release in the meantime and have AT in 1.6.6 (or whenever).  Delaying
the fixes already slated for 1.6.5 further than needed doesn't benefit
anyone.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.