[Lustre-discuss] missing manpages - or: what sense do these programs have

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Jan 9 13:49:17 PST 2008

On Jan 09, 2008  14:26 +0100, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> as one of the debian maintainers I would like to get to know which sense
> these programs have (in order to write the manpages).
> I found nowhere informations on how to use these programs, so they are in
> fact atm useless for users.
>
>  - lst
>  - lstclient

These are new commands for "lnet self test".  They should be installed always,
to allow diagnosing networking performance/configuration issues.  Sorry, I
don't know the details, though you could file a documentation bug on them.

>  - routerstat

This is for LNET router stats, not sure how widely it is used.

>  - ptlctl
>  - debugctl

These are obsolete commands and should just be removed entirely.  Their
functionality was moved into lctl a long time ago.

>  - wirecheck

Tests the wire format encoding, but probably not needed for a real install.

>  - llobdstat

Reports IO statistics for Lustre, similar to llstat, so should be installed.

> Some hints to docu I didn't find or explanation are welcome ;-)

If there is existing documentation in the lustre manual I'd welcome it
being moved into man pages.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.