[Lustre-discuss] Setting debug level in 1.6.5.1

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Jul 9 03:29:40 PDT 2008

On Jul 09, 2008  01:29 -0500, Dennis Nelson wrote:
> The Lustre manual discuses setting debug to a bitmask of 0x3f0400.  It also
> says that you can verify the debug level used with the following command:
>
> # sysctl portals.debug
>
> I am running Lustre 1.6.5.1.  When I run this I get the following:
>
> # sysctl portals.debug
> error: "portals.debug" is an unknown key
>
> Is this a typo in the manual or has something changed?

Yes, manual is out of date here it seems.  It should be "lnet.debug".
Note also that the default debug level is no longer 0x3f0400 because
that slows down the system too much under load.

> It also says that I can verify and change the value using the /proc
> interface.  I currently have:
>
> # cat /proc/sys/lnet/debug
> ioctl neterror warning error emerg ha config console
>
> Which I assume is the default since I have not changed it.  What does this
> represent?  Does this correspond to the 0x3f0400 bitmap?  How would I know?

Forget about the 0x3f0400 value, and just use the default.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.