[Lustre-discuss] basic dump question for Lustre MDT

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:07:59 PDT 2009

Greetings,

I am again going to try to backup my MDTs and restore them on newer
larger disks.  Ch. 15 of the Lustre manual suggests using
getfattr/setfattr and tar command.  At the Lustre User Group conf, it
was suggested I use the linux dump and restore commands in place of
tar.   So I would still umount MDT from its -t lustre active status
and remount the MDT -t ldiskfs /mnt/mds to run the getfattr command.
In place of tar I would like to try dump.   Will dump work with the
mount type of ldiskfs?  The man for dump does not indicate this but
then again the man page is general usage, not Lustre.  My goal is to
take the attributes and dumpfile of the MDT and restore them (setfattr
and the restore command) onto newer larger disks.

Thank you for the info.

megan