[Lustre-discuss] quotacheck blows up MDT

Johann Lombardi johann at sun.com
Fri Apr 24 14:09:43 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 03:28:39PM +0200, Thomas Roth wrote:
> So, after this lengthy intro, my question: Is this extreme loading or
> overloading of the MDS during quotacheck a "normal" feature?

Yes, quotacheck is a quite expensive operation. It scans the whole
filesystem (sub quotachecks are run on both the MDS and the OSTs) to
recompute the disk usage (for both inodes & blocks) on a per-uid/gid basis.
Fortunately, we don't have to run quotacheck often.

> Is there a connection to the fact that the filesystem is already 75%
> full, with 128 TB?

yes, the bigger the OSTs/MDS, the longer :(

Cheers,
Johann