[Lustre-discuss] Lustre and iSCSI

David Pratt fairwinds.dp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 05:58:54 PDT 2009

Hi. Many thanks for your responses. Generally, the qualities of Lustre
appear great for a Storage Repository for virtual machine images in
XenServer since you would get a combination of fault tolerance, a
pretty much infinitely scalable distributed storage pool, speed and
ability to migrate virtual machines across a number or hosts.
XenServer can use NFS, iSCSI, NetApp, EqualLogic or Fibre Channel
storage repositories at this point. It appears there is some
capability to create a plugin to allow for others. It is possible that
the only way to get Lustre to work would be with the development of a
plugin. At this point, to create a minimal Lustre install to play
with, how many machines will be required?

Regards,
David

On 3-Aug-09, at 8:01 PM, Klaus Steden wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I did some experiments last year with Lustre 1.6.x and a Dell iSCSI
> enclosure. It was a little slow (proof of concept mainly) due to
> sharing MDT
> and OST traffic on a single GigE strand, but as long as the
> operating system
> presents a valid block device, Lustre works fine.
>
> hth
> Klaus
>
> On 7/31/09 11:13 AM, "Cliff White" <Cliff.White at Sun.COM> etched on
> stone
> tablets:
>
>> David Pratt wrote:
>>> Hi. I am exploring possibilities for pooled storage for virtual
>>> machines. Lustre looks quite interesting for both tolerance and