[Lustre-discuss] Lustre and iSCSI

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Aug 4 07:22:47 PDT 2009

On Aug 04, 2009  09:58 -0300, David Pratt wrote:
> Hi. Many thanks for your responses. Generally, the qualities of Lustre
> appear great for a Storage Repository for virtual machine images in
> XenServer since you would get a combination of fault tolerance, a
> pretty much infinitely scalable distributed storage pool, speed and
> ability to migrate virtual machines across a number or hosts.
> XenServer can use NFS, iSCSI, NetApp, EqualLogic or Fibre Channel
> storage repositories at this point. It appears there is some
> capability to create a plugin to allow for others. It is possible that
> the only way to get Lustre to work would be with the development of a
> plugin.

You can re-export Lustre via NFS to these clients.

> At this point, to create a minimal Lustre install to play
> with, how many machines will be required?

Depends on how available/robust you need the system.  A "functional"
system can run on a single node (MDS+OSS+client+NFS server).  A
highly available system needs at least 3 nodes (MDS, OSS, client+NFSd),
with the MDS and OSS doing failover for each other.

That said, unless you plan to scale beyond this (i.e. multiple OSS
nodes) you could just use a pair of nodes for an HA NFS configuration,
which is arguably less complex.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.