[Lustre-discuss] Lustre and ORACLE

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Jan 8 03:48:37 PST 2009

On Jan 07, 2009  00:31 -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 22:06 +0100, gregory steulet wrote:
> > Just a question regarding compatibility and success story with Lustre
> > and ORACLE.
> >
> > 1. Do you know if it's possible to install an Oracle DB on a lustre FS?
> > as far as I know it's anyway not supported by Oracle
>
> Doesn't Oracle usually want a raw block device?  i.e. no filesystem on
> it?  That would for the most part preclude Lustre.

Actually, Oracle developed OCFS2 (Oracle Cluster File System 2) just for
this purpose, and it is included in the upstream Linux kernel.  The main
problem with it is that it is not a general-purpose filesystem.  It has
strange semantics about file locking, and is optimized only for Oracle
IO patterns.

So, in theory it should be possible, but I don't know if anyone has
tested it.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.