[Lustre-discuss] Lustre-1.9.210: mkfs.ldiskfs?

Jim Garlick garlick at llnl.gov
Thu Jul 2 09:29:16 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 10:44:39AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 16:50 -0700, Robert Read wrote:
> >
> > What configure options did you use when you built lustre?  I think "--
> > with-ldiskfsprogs" will configure lustre to use these names, however
> > the standard version the e2fs utils doesn't use this naming scheme.
>
> If the --with-ldiskfsprogs was indeed used, perhaps/probably, configure
> should check that ldiskfsprogs was installed on the build system.
> Additionally, the Requires: tags in the resulting RPM should probably be
> changed to ldiskfsprogs from e2fsprogs, if that is not already being
> done.
>
> Perhaps Josephine could file a bug to those effects.
>
> Given that having the ldiskfsprogs flavour of the utilities installed is
> strictly a run-time requirement, perhaps the above configure enhancement
> not be so strict, but certainly the latter, the RPM requirement, should
> be.  If Josephine had installed resulting RPMs, that would have been her
> signal that things were not quite aligning.  If configure is not so
> strict, it could at least warn about the missing utilities.

I agree that the spec file must have a Requires: ldiskfsprogs (ours does).

Adding a build-time requirement (and presumably BuildRequires:) just
adds unnecessary work at build time for modern build systems such as mock.
Please don't do that.

Jim

p.s. See bug 17963 for background on --with-ldiskfsprogs.