[Lustre-discuss] lustre-discuss-list - 10 new messages in 5 topics - digest

Ettore Enrico Delfino Ligorio ettoredelfinoligorio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 11:01:36 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Regarding to the comparsion of Lustre with GlusterFS, i have the
fallowing together with the attached file.

I used this in a presentation at
http://www.beliefproject.org/events/4th-belief-international-symposium

It can be a start of comparsion. GlusterFS has a lower performance,
but we can make a RAID 10 though the network, in the case that the
glusterfs equivalent of OST are DAS( ie, internal disk, not a SAN
lun). Also,  apparently, there is no deadlock when the glusterfs node
is simultaneously configured to be  client and server.

In my experince, the integration between most recent kernels with
glusterfs and patches of Xen hypervisor works well. The same with
Lustre is harder to do.

Although, there is issues when trying to boot up a virtual machine
image stored in glusterfs mount point.

Also glusterfs has lower performance when overwriting files when
compared with the write process.

Apparently glusterfs does not stripe files between nodes and
apparently there is a single file limit size asspciated to the space
available in the gluster equivalent to OST.

I am waiting for version 2 of Lustre.

Best Regards.
--
Ettore Enrico Delfino Ligorio