[Lustre-discuss] Selection of kernel options for the distributed Lustre kernels

Arne Wiebalck arne.wiebalck at cern.ch
Mon Jul 20 08:50:18 PDT 2009

Hi Brian,

> We try to stick as closely as we can to the vendor's selected options.

That's what I thought :)

>> I'm asking as (if I am not mistaken and amongst other things)
>> iSCSI for instance is enabled for a standard RHEL5 kernel, while
>> it is disabled for the RHEL5 Lustre kernel.
>
> So I can follow up on this, can I ask how you are determining this?

The Lustre kernel:

-->
[root~]# grep -i iscsi /boot/config-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5_lustre.1.8.0.1smp
# CONFIG_SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS is not set
# CONFIG_ISCSI_TCP is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLA_ISCSI is not set
# CONFIG_ISCSI_IBFT_FIND is not set
<--

and (what I believe to be) a standard RHE5 kernel:

-->
[root~]# grep -i iscsi /boot/config-2.6.18-128.el5
CONFIG_SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS=m
CONFIG_ISCSI_TCP=m
CONFIG_SCSI_QLA_ISCSI=m
CONFIG_ISCSI_IBFT_FIND=y
CONFIG_ISCSI_IBFT=m
<--

> Which Lustre release and kernel are you referencing?

lustre 1.8.0.1, RHEL 5, x86_64

Please note that I am not 100% sure that the standard RedHat config
has that enabled. But in case you confirm this one, I have some more
discrepancies ;-)

Thanks for looking into this,
  Arne