[Lustre-discuss] Selection of kernel options for the distributed Lustre kernels

Mon Jul 20 09:04:23 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 17:50 +0200, Arne Wiebalck wrote:
> Hi Brian,

Hi Arne,

> That's what I thought :)

You have found one of our deviations though.

> The Lustre kernel:
>
> -->
> [root~]# grep -i iscsi /boot/config-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5_lustre.1.8.0.1smp
> # CONFIG_SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS is not set
> # CONFIG_ISCSI_TCP is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_QLA_ISCSI is not set
> # CONFIG_ISCSI_IBFT_FIND is not set
> <--

Right.

In addition to providing an updated I/B stack from OFED we also provide
the iSCSI stack from OFED as well, as it's generally "newer" than what
the vendor provides.  In order to do so and minimize confusion with the
vendor supplied kernel, we disable the vendor's iSCSI (as well as
infiniband) stacks.

You will find the iSCSI stack in the kernel-ib package we distribute
with our release.  Let me know if that doesn't pan out.  iSCSI is not
something we routinely test due to lack of hardware but more
importantly, simply lack of desire in our customer base.  iSCSI is just
not a common deployment method within the Lustre customer base.

b.