[Lustre-discuss] Lustre error

Lundgren, Andrew Andrew.Lundgren at Level3.com
Thu Sep 24 09:03:54 PDT 2009

I don’t believe that you need to install the client RPMs when you install the server.  I wouldn’t force install them.  The client will mount with just the server RPMs.

We have seen cases when clients will cause you to have to reboot a machine because of bugs or other issues.  When that happens, you take down a portion of your cluster.  While we have clients running on OSS machines, we do not have anything other than the MDS running on the MDS machines.  If the MDT becomes damaged or corrupted, you can lose your entire cluster.  For us, that risk was something to be avoided.

--
Andrew

From: lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org [mailto:lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org] On Behalf Of fengya0785
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:23 AM
To: lustre-discuss
Subject: [Lustre-discuss] Lustre error

Hello ALL!
    I am Lustre beginner.
    I built a 4nodes cluster of lustre, That is each node for OSS also for Client. When I installed the lustre-client-xxx.rpm and lustre-client-modules-xxx.rpm,I received some file conflit warnning . so I installed them by option --force.
    By the way, The nodes are the computing nodes also.
-------------system info------------------
OS:RHEL 5u2
Lustre Version 1.6.7.1
4nodes just as below:
panda1:    MDS    OSS     Client
panda2:              OSS     Client
panda3:              OSS     Client
panda4:              OSS     Client

Qustion1:Is it risk when the OSS and Client in one nodes? such as: lustre crash , performance degradation when caculating
Qustion2:If lustre crash , what I cant do?

Thanks a lot~

2009-09-23