[Lustre-discuss] Version mismatch of Lustre client and server

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Thu Aug 12 09:27:00 PDT 2010

On 2010-08-11, at 15:00, Jagga Soorma wrote:
> I am planning on deploying a few more clients in my lustre environment and was wondering which client version to install.  I know it is okay to run a newer client version than your lustre server for upgrade purposes.  However, would it be okay to be in this state for a longer period of time (for the life of this filesystem)?

We run one of our internal test systems like this always, to catch version interoperability bugs.

> My lustre server is currently running 1.8.1.1 on RHEL 5.3 and I am planning on deploying 1.8.2 on SLES 11.  Also, I am trying to stay as close as possible to 1.8.1.1

Why, if I might ask?

> which is why I am planning on installing the 1.8.2 version of lustre client.
>  Are they many changes between 1.8.2 and 1.8.4.

1.8.x is only getting bug fixes at this point.  As with any release, you can see the list of changes in 1.8.4 in the {lustre,lnet,ldiskfs}/ChangeLog files.  That said, 1.8.4 does have a fair number of bug fixes brought in from Cray and LLNL, so I would recommend everyone to use it (when it finally appears on the download site).

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.